The Problem with Red Bags
Hospital’s err on the side of caution and train staff to dispose of contaminated linen as Red Bag waste.
- Assuming the linen cannot be cleaned, staff dispose of it as Red Bag waste
- Attempting to “alert” the laundry that the linen is heavily contaminated hospital personnel place linen in Red Bags
- Lack of understanding regarding the process utilized by professional laundry operators
- Pounds of linen are unnecessarily discarded as waste in over 5,724 US hospitals daily
- Hospitals pay between 18 – 33 cents per pound to dispose of Red Bag waste…unnecessarily!
- The problem is compounded by the cost of replacing the discarded linen
Click here to read the full article.